Portland Society for Architecture (PSA) is a non-profit membership organization founded in 2006 to promote the progress and economic development of Greater Portland by encouraging innovation and vision in design and planning.
Who belongs to the PSA?
PSAâ€™s growing membership includes architects, engineers, landscape architects, design professionals, and individuals committed to the protection and enhancement of those aspects of urban design which contribute greatly to Portlandâ€™s economic activity and cultural identity. Through advocacy and educational programming, PSA engages a broad constituency in the effort to insure that Portland will ultimately take its place among the truly great smaller cities in the United States.
PSAâ€™s achievements since its founding have benefited both our membership and our community. In keeping with our mission to advocate for design excellence and provide opportunities for collegiality in the design community we have:
- Successfully recruited an architect for appointment to the Portland Planning Board
- Appeared before Portland’s Planning Board and City Council on a wide range of issues affecting Portland’s built environment. These include:
~Â The streamlining of development review
~Â Â Proposed design guidelines for certain residential and business districts
~Â Â Waterfront re-zoning
~Â The creation of the Congress Street Historic District
~Â Â Proposals for the Maine State Pier
- Joined with other stakeholders in an ongoing effort to secure inspiring replacements for the Veterans Memorial and the Martin’s Point Bridges
- Presented â€śSustainable Portland by 2030â€ť How Do We Get There?â€ť in partnership with the Urban Land Institute of Boston
- Presented “Sustainable Portland: Rising Tides”, Â a symposium on Sea Level Rise
- Established a design award for unbuilt projects and for local buildings that have stood the â€śTest of Timeâ€ť
- Significantly expanded our educational programming offering more opportunities for members to earn Continuing Education Credits
- Fostered networking opportunities through our fall and spring social events
- Redesigned our website, providing PSA sponsors with increased visibility and our membership with better access to information about our activities and the accomplishments of our colleagues
We encourage you to become a PSA member. It is a great networking opportunity and enjoyable as well!
Join our effort to impact the future of Portland’s built environment.