Helping Portland Build Better
Sustainable, responsible, creative growth is the lifeblood of the City
What is the PSA?
Portland Society for Architecture (PSA) is a non-profit organization that promotes the progress and economic development of Greater Portland, Maine by encouraging innovation and vision in design and planning.
History of the PSA
PSA was founded as the Portland Society for Architects, a membership organization, in 2006. The impetus of the organizers was two-fold: it could serve as a platform where Portland architects could socialize and share experiences; and that a collective voice would be more powerful than the individual in influencing City policy on design and planning issues.
After eight years, PSA was renamed the Portland Society for Architecture to reflect a multi-disciplinary commitment to community issues that shape Portland’s future. Those engaged with PSA are architects, engineers, landscape architects, design professionals, and individuals committed to the protection and enhancement of all aspects of urban design which contribute greatly to Portland’s economic activity and cultural identity.
In 2017 membership dues were eliminated and PSA became open to anyone and everyone with an interest in the growth and future of Portland.
Over the last twelve years PSA has produced programs such as the 10-minute architect, Drink-n-Crit, and Community Conversations; the three-part series on climate change and sea-level rise: Sustainable Portland by 2030, Rising Tides and Waterfront Visions; lectures by Spiro N. Pollalis, BenHamilton-Baillie, and Moshe Safdie; promoted design criteria for the Martin’s Point and Veteran’s Bridges; delivered public testimony on numerous issues related to land-use, planning and design; and partnered and collaborated with a diverse set of organizations to advocate, educate and promote quality and value of good urban design and architecture in Portland.
PSA’s mission is to help Portland Build Better by:
- Presenting programs and public events that enable Portland’s citizens to make informed decisions about the future of our City
- Elevating the quality of public engagement
- Maintaining an optimistic and progressive approach toward civic engagement
- Engaging our creative community to make Portland a destination – a place where people choose to live
PSA Advocates for the belief that:
- Portland’s future is vitally connected to a quality built environment
- Sustainable growth and prosperity ﬂow from beauty in the built environment
- Constructive, informed public dialogue is the key to Helping Portland Build Better
- THE BEST IS YET TO COME, but it won’t happen by accident